Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Raw Almond Joys


The recipe for almond joys is taken from this book. Although a lot of the recipes in this book are time consuming, and as a mom unpractical. However, I love their desserts, they come together fast, and are SO good. I made these for a raw cooking class I just taught, and everyone loved them.

Sorry no picture of the almond joys, they weren't any leftover from my cooking class. This is one of my favorite treats, they are BETTER than almond joys and aren't full of a whole bunch of ingredients that you can't pronounce. As an added bonus coconut oil, is so good for you, it actually helps you burn fat, and gives you energy, hows that for a dessert!
I usually store these in the freezer after I make them. I also use a cookie scoop and scoop them out, or I use a little silicone muffin mold, and put the vanilla mixture in, and then put them in the freezer. While they are in the freezer I make the chocolate sauce. I then pull the almond joys out of the freezer put an almond in the center and top it with chocolate sauce. I put them back in the freezer to set up. OUT OF THIS WORLD.
I prefer the vanilla almond joys with chocolate sauce as opposed to the ones made with cocoa powder instead of almond meal. The chocolate ones are a little bit bitter, kind of like a dark almond joy.


This recipe is taken from Raw Food Real World, which has really good raw desserts
(note: the chocolate sauce is not from the book, and needs a little bit of tweaking to get it the right consistency, play around with it)

3 C shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 1/2 C cocoa powder
1 C maple syrup
1/3 C coconut oil
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and stir well, or use a standing mixer with a paddle attachment. Scoop out the dough onto parchment paper with an ice cream scoop.

For a vanilla almond joy

3 C shredded coconut
1 1/2 C almond meal
1 C maple syrup
1/3 C coconut oil
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp sea salt

Combine all of the ingredients and stir until combined. Scoop out the dough with a cookie scoop.

I like to drizzle a chocolate sauce over these.

Chocolate Sauce

3/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C cocoa powder
1 T vanilla
1/4 C agave

Soften the coconut oil, add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and agave mix together.

NOTE: this recipe is rough estimates, play around with the coconut oil and cocoa powder to get the right consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment