Today, healthy fat deficiency is prevalent throughout the North American diet. Studies show consuming a sufficient amount of fat, in the right forms and proper proportions, has significant health benefits for both body and mind. Among other things, good fats can strengthen the immune system; greatly reduce cardiovascular disease; increase energy and performance; grow healthy skin, hair, and nails; regulate body weight; improve organ and gland function; and enhance brain and nervous system functions such as mood, intelligence and behavior.
Weight Loss Aid
VCO, a healthy fat due to its composition of medium chain fatty acids, is a natural weight loss aid. VCO gives you a full and satisfied feeling, resulting in less total calorie consumption throughout the day. Virgin coconut oil also contains rare medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), which are digested more rapidly than the more commonly consumed long-chain triglycerides (LCT). LCT is prevalent in most diets because it appears in commonly used oils like safflower, corn, soybean and canola oils. The rapid digestion of MCT results in a rapid rise in metabolism and energy levels, resulting in more calories burned and weight loss. A 2002 study conducted by Marie-Pierre St-Onge and Peter J. H. Jones, published in the "Journal of Nutrition," states "research conducted to date in animals shows that replacing dietary LCT by MCT causes a rise in energy expenditure, a depression of food intake and lower body fat mass. Similarly, in humans, MCT increase energy expenditure relative to LCT consumption."
Candida albicans is a yeast microorganism that lives naturally in your intestinal tract. Candida overgrowth symptoms occur when the yeasts multiply and spread throughout the body. The effectiveness of virgin coconut oil as an anti-fungal agent on these candida species was tested in a 2007 study performed at the Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology, University College Hospital, in Ibadan, Nigeria. The study found that candida albicans, the most common isolate from clinical specimens taken, was 100 percent susceptible to pure coconut oil. The study concluded that "coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view of emerging drug-resistant Candida species."
Disease Treatment and Prevention
Virgin coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids, including lauric acid (also found in human breast milk) and caprilic acid. VCO contains anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties due to these medium-chain fatty acids. On a smaller scale VCO can strengthen the immune system and prevent the common cold and flu. On a larger scale, a study performed on HIV infected patients at San Lazaro Hospital found that "coconut oil does have an anti-viral effect and can beneficially reduce the viral load of HIV patients."
Virgin coconut oil is an excellent face and body moisturizer. Use a small amount of VCO daily for wrinkle prevention on the face, or as a gentle replacement for baby lotions. The anti fungal properties of VCO will effectively kill fungal infections like athletes foot when applied liberally to the infected area twice daily.
Here are some excellent ways to use coconut oil in your beauty regimen:
· As an all-over moisturizer, keep a jar handy near your shower. Before drying off with a towel, apply the coconut oil to damp skin. The oil works as a water sealant, keeping the moisture locked in. Then simply pat yourself dry.
· Try using it as a gentle, effective eye make-up remover, even for stubborn waterproof mascara.
· Use it before and after sun exposure to protect and soothe skin from harmful UV rays
· It is a remarkable hot oil treatment for those with damaged hair or dry scalp (dandruff). Gently heat the oil and massage it into scalp and hair. Don’t forget the ends! Leave it on over night for the ultimate deep conditioning treatment. Remember to cover your pillow with a towel. Then just shampoo it out in the morning.
· Before retiring for the evening, try applying it to your face, hands, elbows, knees and feet. Wear hand gloves and socks to wake up with an ultra soft experience.
· Use it to moisturize cuticles while relaxing in front of your favorite TV show.
· Slather on chapped, winter lips.
· Mix with a coarse sugar or salt to make your own economical body scrub.
· Finally, because of its anti-viral, anti-fungal properties, it can be used to soothe and help heal eczema, fungal infections between the toes and when applied underarm, can prevent body odor.
-taken from naturallysavvy.com
-taken from naturallysavvy.com
Where to get it?
I like to buy mine in bulk because it is a lot cheaper. I buy mine at Mountain Rose Herbs. It is the best price, and has such a good flavor. I just bought the 5 gallon bucket, it worked out to be 36 dollars a gallon with shipping.