Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rich Gluten Free Brownies


Again these brownies have been a work in progress, and along with the "work" that means that Scotty, Isaiah, and I have the hard job of "testing" lots of pans of brownies. Good thing I am in the middle of marathon training. (Although these are healthyish, you probably shouldn't eat half the pan like I have been doing). So as I mentioned before I taught a gluten free cooking class and in the class I also taught these brownies. While I was teaching I forgot to add the oil, and they actually ended up being really good.

1/2 C + 2 T almond flour*
1/4 C sweet brown rice flour*
2 T cocoa powder
2/3 C dark chocolate, chopped from a chocolate bar
6 T coconut oil*
1/4 C chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 C sucanat
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 T vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium sized mixing bowl sift the dry ingredients together. Melt the 2/3 C chocolate, and oil (if using) in a seperate bowl. I put it in a glass measuring cup and melt it over simmering water in a pan. Once fully melted, pour the chocolate over the dry ingredients, don't mix yet. Then in the same bowl, lightly beat your eggs, this saves you a dish. Add the eggs to the brownie mixture, and the vanilla. Fold in all the ingredients until incoporated. Pour into a 8x8 pan lined with parchment. These brownies are so gooey that the parchment helps to lift them out of the pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes. When they are done the top is shiny and the edges have come away from the pan. Stick a toothpick in if it comes out with a few crumbs they are done. Let sit for at least a 1/2 hour, the longer the better. Torture I know but it really helps them set up.

Variation: To make the coconut butterscotch brownie pictured above. Add a layer of butterscotch chocolate chips to the brownies when they come out of the oven hot. Spread the melted chocolate chips evenly over the top to make a frosting, and then top with toasted coconut.

Tips:
*to save money I buy the almonds, and sweet brown rice in bulk, and grind the brown rice myself in a grinder. The almonds I blend in my blender until they are powder, like flour
*brown rice flour will work too, but the sweet brown rice gives it a sweeter flavor
* don't substitute chocolate chips they will result in a squatty brownie, you could also use melting chocolate
*As I mentioned before I completley forgot the oil in the class, and they turned out really good, experiment without oil

No comments:

Post a Comment