Saturday, May 8, 2010

Southwestern Corn and Sweet Potato Soup

Admittedly this picture isn't pretty. I took it right before we devoured all of it, so I hurried and snapped a picture of the last bowl. I wanted to post this dinner because it was such an easy good dinner.
This recipe was adapated from the Moosewood Cookbook, Low Fat Favorites. This cookbook was given to me by the previous owner of our house. He sold books on Ebay, and gave me all of the ones he didn't want to pack up with them. One of the many perks to buying the house! Despite the name, it was such a gem. The recipes in the book are so flavorful, and good for you, plus they always turn out. This soup recipe jumped at me because it had sweet potatoes in it, I love sweet potatoes, and in my book anything with sweet potatoes has to be good would be good. To the recipe I added millet to get more grains in my diet, and an extra potato for creaminess, both are optional. The millet makes into more a stew, a little thicker than a soup.

1/4 c millet ( optional)
1 C finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic
1 small chili, seeded and minced
1/4 tsp salt
3-5 C stock, veggie or chicken
2 1/2 tsp cumin1 md. sweet potato, diced
1 potato diced (optional, it just makes it a little heartier)
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 C fresh or frozen corn
salt to taste
lime wedges, finely chopped cilantro leaves
In a heavy bottom pan, toast the millet until golden brown. Add the onions, garlic,chile, and salt to 1 C of the stock simmer for ten minutes until the onions are soft. In a small bowl make a paste with the cumin and a tablespoon of the stock, stir in the pot, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato, and potato (if adding), and the remaining stock ( I added close to five cups of stock because it was too thick, with the added potato and millet) cook another 10 minutes or until soft. Add the bell pepper, and corn and simmer for another 10 minutes or until they are soft. Puree about half of the soup in the blender or food processor and return it to the pot. The soup will be creamy and thick. Add salt to taste and reheat. Garnish as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment